If you have ever wished that your cat could clean his own litter box, then an automatic cat litter box is something you should have. And if you (and your cat) hate the buildup after a weekend away or short business trips, then you definitely need to invest in an automatic cat litter box. Timed to clean itself after every use, an automatic cat litter box also provides your cat with a cleaner, healthy place to do his business. Automatic cat litter boxes are available in a variety of styles and designs, so here are some things to consider when choosing the best automatic cat litter box. Features to Consider in an Automatic Cat Litter BoxAutomatic Cat Litter Box Materials
– Most automatic cat litter boxes are made from some form of molded plastic in a variety of colors. Automatic Cat Litter Box Style
– Like regular litter boxes, automatic cat litter boxes are either hooded or open. Hooded boxes can help to control the spread of dust and odor, but may be difficult for larger cats to use and offer poor ventilation. Automatic Cat Litter Box Size
– You will want to choose an automatic cat litter box that is large enough to accommodate the size and number of cats that will be using it, but small enough to fit neatly into the space where you place it. Automatic Cat Litter Box Durability
– An automatic cat litter box must be able to stand up to the use it will get, so you will want to choose one that is designed for your situation.Automatic Cat Litter Box Depth
– The depth of the pan and the height of the lip at the entrance should be deep enough to keep your serious diggers from scattering litter outside the pan, but shallow enough to not discourage smaller and younger cats. Automatic Cat Litter Box...Attractive to the cat
– Keep your cat's habits and preferences in mind so that you can choose a style and location for your automatic cat litter box that will be attractive to your cat and encouraging for him to use. Automatic Cat Litter Box Design
– Take time to familiarize yourself with the pros and cons of the different designs in automatic cat litter boxes. Some will use regular garbage bags while others will use specialized containers that you will have to purchase separately. Many use some form of a raking system while others use a sifting system.Automatic Cat Litter Box Cost
– The wide variety of designs also means that automatic cat litter boxes are available at a wide range of prices from less that $30 to over $100.Automatic Cat Litter Box Guarantee
– Most automatic cat litter boxes have some form of guarantee. This is an important consideration given that all have some form of moving parts.Ideal Choice for an Automatic Cat Litter Box If you have a large cat or more than one cat, the ideal choice of an automatic cat litter box will be a larger model designed for multiple users.
If you want to keep costs down and convenience up, the ideal choice of an automatic cat litter box will be a design that allows use of standardized garbage bags as opposed to specialized containers.
Most importantly, the ideal choice of an automatic cat litter box will be one that is attractive to your cat so that he will be certain to use it.
Shopping Tips for Automatic Cat Litter Boxes
Automatic cat litter boxes use a sensor system to activate a timer that begins after your cat has left the box. After a specified period of time, usually 7 to 10 minutes, the mechanical action will begin that cleans the box.
All automatic cat litter boxes use clumping style cat litter.
Most automatic cat litter boxes use a raking system to push the clumped litter and such into a reservoir area inaccessible to the cat, leaving behind only clean litter. There are also sifting and rotating designs that provide the same result with out the presence of the rake teeth.
Automatic cat litter boxes are available in hooded and non-hooded designs.
Automatic cat litter boxes are designed to eliminate the need for regular cleaning by providing a reservoir capacity for several cats or several days for one cat.
It may take some time for your cat to become accustomed to your automatic cat litter box, so keep the old manual litter box around for a while to avoid abruptly change boxes. Chances are your cat will appreciate the always clean nature of the new automatic cat litter box and quickly begin using it exclusively.
Consider your cat's unique nature when selecting an automatic cat litter box. If your cat is particularly sensitive to sounds, you will want an automatic cat litter box that has a very quiet mechanism so that your cat is not frightened if he hears it in action. If your cat is timid about the movement of mechanical devices, you will want to choose an automatic cat litter box that has minimal or hidden movement. If your cat doesn't like tight spaces where he may feel trapped, an open style of automatic cat litter box will be a better choice for him.
Tips for Using an Automatic Cat Litter Box
The location of your automatic cat litter box is important for successful use. Choose a location that is well away from your cat's food and water, in a quiet, private area that is not too enclosed or isolated, and away from heat vents and air ducts.
Plastic pans will eventually pick up odors that won't come out no matter how much you scrub them, so you may want to choose an automatic cat litter box that has a replaceable bottom.
Avoid harsh cleaners such as bleach or ammonia products when giving your automatic cat litter box an extra cleaning. The smells from these chemicals are offensive to cats and may cause your cat to stop using the box.
The general rule for the number of cat litter boxes is one per cat per floor of your home, plus one. While it is still a good idea to have one box per cat even if they use the boxes interchangeably, automatic cat litter boxes may allow you to have fewer boxes overall by continually providing your cat with clean letter.
And finally, remember that an automatic cat litter box does not replace the need for good litter box hygiene. Make sure that the reservoir does not become too full. Keep the mechanism clean and in good working order. And always keep the entire litter box area clean to avoid a build up of smells and other health hazards.