Why do cats scratch?
Beneath your cat's soft furry paws lie needle-sharp claws that can destroy a couch or draw blood in just a fraction of a second.
Scratching isn't something your cat simply LIKES to do. It's something your cat NEEDS to do. It's instinctual. And even when a cat has been declawed, the instinct to scratch remains strong.
Cats' claws have a sickle-like shape with a razor sharp tip that lets the cat grip prey and hold onto it. Their claws grow continuously from within, like an onion, and the outer worn layers are eventually shed. Cats keep the tips sharp by retracting their claws into a skin pouch when they walk (unlike dogs whose claws are kept short from friction on the ground while walking).
Cats scratch for many reasons:
• It helps loosen the outer layer of the claw from the cuticle so it can be shed.
• In the wild, scratching is an instinctive way for cats to mark their territory. Scratch marks are a visual sign that a cat has claimed this territory. Also, as the cat scratches, scent glands on the underside of the paw secrete pheromones to mark territory.
• Scratching promotes a sense of well-being and familiarity.
• Scratching provides therapeutic exercise for the muscles and tendons in the paws. While scratching, cats extend and retract their claws. The muscles in the forelegs and shoulders are strengthened.
Save your rugs and sofas – get a good scratcher for your kitty
Cats love a good scratch. A good scratching post or pad is a great way to satisfy your cat's need to scratch … saving your furniture, carpets, walls and stereo speakers. Even a declawed cat will use a good scratching post or pad because scratching is an instinctive behavior that cats never lose.
We've chosen three great scratchers at a variety of prices, each with different features, so you can choose the one that's right for you. Each scratcher will enhance your cat's life as nature intended. And all three scratchers are catnip-treated to peak your cat's interest. These scratchers are inexpensive, attractive and enjoyable. They will give your cat hours and hours of scratching pleasure – and they will make life much more pleasant for you!
If you have multiple cats, you may want to consider multiple scratchers. Remember, the more "acceptable" places you give your cats to scratch, the less likely they will be to scratch in "unacceptable" places – like your sofa!
Location, Location, Location!
The ideal scratcher is appropriately sized to allow your cat to stretch and reach to its full length. This is really important when it comes to exercising your cat’s forelimbs and back. Of course the bigger the scratcher, the more obvious it will be in the home. That’s why these three attractive scratchers are made in subtle earth-tones to compliment your décor. This is important because you don’t want to “hide" the scratcher away in some obscure corner. Choose an attractive location in an obvious area – preferably near those scratching sites your cat has already “claimed". Once your cat gets used to using this new scratcher instead of your furniture, you can gradually reposition it further away to a less obvious spot.
It’s a simple fact of life (feline life, that is) … all cats have an instinctual need to scratch. And try as you may, you will never train your kitty to stop doing this natural behavior. But with a good scratching pad or post, you can have your cat and keep your furniture, too!
Choose from 3 great scratchers in 3 fun styles!
Let your pocketbook, your house size and your cat’s need be your guide.
Mega Scratching Pad Deluxe
- Great space-saving design!
- Honeycomb texture of durable material mimics the feel of tree bark (a natural scratching surface)
- Treated with pure certified organic catnip to attract your cat
- Includes an extra bag of certified organic catnip
- Made with at least 80% recycled materials and is 100% recyclable
- Disposable – replace with a new pad when surface becomes
worn - lasts about 6 months for a single-cat household
Sale price: $8.99
Omega Paw Wide Lean-it Anywhere Scratch Post
- A full 38 inches high – gives your cat a good stretch
- Lean it against any wall at any angle
- Non-skid rubber on both ends holds it securely in place while protecting walls and floors
- Infused with catnip oil to entice your kitty
- Use on any surface – carpeted, vinyl, hardwood, etc.
- Upholstered in durable Berber carpeting (assorted earth-tones)
MSRP: $34.99Sale price: $29.99
Imperial Cat Large Relax A Cat Scratcher
- Large 40-inch scratching surface gives your cat a good healthy stretch
- Multiple scratching and playing surfaces for even more fun
- Texture is unlike any other surface in your home, so your cat will learn that this is his very own personal place to scratch
- Treated with pure certified organic catnip (extra bag included)
- Made with at least 30% recycled materials and is 100% recyclable
- Great for multi-cat homes
MSRP: $49.99Sale price: $39.99